Monday, September 6, 2010

Fiber LOADED muffins...mmmmm


Years ago before I ever had any interests in any kind of cooking, my Grandma gave me a bread and muffin cookbook: "Pillsbury Best Muffins and Quick Breads".

I'm glad she did, and I'm glad I kept it (I'm a thrower outer...if I don't use it, I toss it). I love just about every recipe in there, they are quick, easy, and super yummy!!!


Here is one of my faves...maybe you'll enjoy it too :)


Carrot Zucchini Muffins ( I like to add blueberries or raisins also...trust me, SO good)


2 cups all purpose flour

1 cup rolled oats

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

3 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon ( I use 1 full teaspoon)

1/4 teaspoon salt

2/3 cup skim milk

3 tablespoons oil

2 egg whites

1 cup finely shredded carrots (I shred 2 whole carrots)

1/2 cup shredded unpeeled zucchini (I usually have a big zucchini in my fridge so I shred about 1/3 of it. Make sure you leave the skin ON...that's where all the fiber is)


Then to make it extra yummy according to the book:

1/2 cup raisins...I use two big handfuls of raisins or blueberries...it's hard to go wrong here!! ;)


heat your oven to 400 degrees F. Spray your muffin pan or put in the muffin cups...I prefer no paper so I spray.


In a large bowl mix first 6 ingredients. In small bowl mix; milk, oil, and egg whites. Add to dry ingredients and mix until its all just moistened. It's going to seem thick and a little dry but then add your veggies and raisins and/or blueberries and mix, you'll notice the batter is much wetter now. Mix well, until its all blended and smooth, then spoon batter into muffin pan.


Bake about 20 minutes then remove from the pan immediately. Don't burn yourself, I burnt my wrist somehow...ouch. Anyways, eat them warm, they are super yummy!!! enjoy!!!




3 comments:

  1. Ohhh I have to try them!! I love the idea to add blueberries. Have to make them, thanks my dear :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) I've been thinking to add about a teaspoon of vanilla to the mix too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok... now make them gluten free for your sweet, fabulous seester! :)

    ReplyDelete